POSITION TITLE: Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Teacher of Children with Visual Impairments or Blindness will be responsible for providing early childhood development and instruction to visually impaired children aged birth to 5 years of age. The TVI will provide support to the families, therapists and school staff to help maximize the child’s self-sufficiency and independence as well as their physical, emotional, cognitive, social skills and development. Services are provided in the home, school, and other appropriate environments.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluate and provide support services related to the child’s visual impairment and development to each assigned child and their family.
- Complete assessments including educational, developmental, and functional vision/sensory learning (FVLMA) and ECC.
- Establish educational plans and objectives to meet the needs of the children and families.
- Collaborate with classroom teacher, therapist and service providers to facilitate unique learning style of each student
- Attend scheduled meetings per IFSP mandate on each student, monitoring student progress and reviewing and updating as required
- Teaching areas of the Expanded Core Curriculum including: independent living skills, orientation and mobility, communication skills, self-help skills, social development, sensory development, emergent literacy, pre-braille skills and braille literacy, and cognitive development including the application of assistive devices
- Instructional techniques including play-based learning, calendar boxes, communication devices and techniques sensory learning, and other instructional methods for children with multiple impairments including visual impairments
- Collaborate with therapist and service providers to facilitate unique learning style of each student
- Team player and liaison between schools/agencies and other community resources
- Keep up to date with knowledge and techniques in relevant fields
- Complete all paperwork and applicable reporting requirements (State and agency) needed for filiing and biliing purposes
- A Bachelor’s Degree (B. A.)/Master’s Degree (M.S) required; NYS Certified Teacher of the Visually Impaired required
- Fluent in English and Spanish a plus
- A valid NY State Driver’s License and ability to drive and an acceptable driving record for agency insurance coverage are required. Must be able to travel locally and regionally for appointments.
- Become familiar with New York State Early Interventions System
- Adheres to all Agency policies and procedures, including but not limited to corporate compliance, personnel policies, HIPAA and all procedures
- Establishes and maintains a strong attention to detail, insuring work is accurate and complete, and adheres to all established deadlines
- Other duties as assigned