POSITION TITLE: Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: This role of an educator, will involve how best to teach skills that sighted children typically acquire through vision. The TVI will provide support to the family student and teacher (Early Intervention -Birth-3 years of age &Preschool 3-5 years of age).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist families by implementing goals and strategies to help children with blindness/visual impairment.
- Develop appropriate lesson plans for each student
- Attend scheduled meetings per IFSP mandate on each student, monitoring student progress and reviewing and updating as required
- Collaborate with therapist and service providers to facilitate unique learning style of each student.
- Provide support and guidance to classroom teacher for students 3-5 years of age who are blind/visually impaired
- Conduct a functional vision assessment ( FVA and/or CVI Range Scale) to understand how a student/child uses vision under certain conditions
- Modify instructional materials as necessary to facilitate each child’s learning style
- Understand use of and obtaining appropriate documentation (state and agency) needed for filing and billing purposes
- A Bachelor’s Degree (B. A.) required; NYS Certified Teacher of the Visually Impaired required
- Fluent in English and Spanish a plus
- A valid NY State Driver’s License and ability to drive and an acceptable driving record for agency insurance coverage are required. Must be able to travel locally and regionally for appointments.
- Become familiar with New York State Early Interventions System
- Adheres to all Agency policies and procedures, including but not limited to corporate compliance, personnel policies, HIPAA and all procedures
- Establishes and maintains a strong attention to detail, insuring work is accurate and complete, and adheres to all established deadlines
- Other duties as assigned