Housing and Transition Specialist
BRIDGES operates a variety of programs guided by the Philosophy of Independent Living to provide services and supports for individuals with disabilities to experience autonomy in all areas of living.
The Housing and Transition Specialist coordinates programs funded through the New York Association on Independent Living (NYAIL). The Housing and Transition Specialist carries out goals of the Opendoors/Money Follows the Person (MFP) program designed to assist persons move out of nursing homes and institutional care and back into the community, linking them with services that would meet their needs to assist them to be independent in the community of their choice.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (B. A.) plus a minimum of one year experience in a similar capacity or equivalent combination of education and experience working with people with disabilities
- Fluent in Spanish, French Creole or American Sign Language a plus
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word. Ability to become proficient on other software products as utilized by the position
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and oral communication skills required; able to interact with all levels of associates in a respectful, confidential manner
- Capable of communicating with and culturally sensitive to individuals with disabilities
- Strong familiarity with disability issues and supporter of the philosophy of individuals empowerment
- Effective and collaborative team player
- Daily access to an automobile is required. A valid NY State Driver’s License and ability to drive and driving record acceptable for agency insurance coverage are required.
- Remain current in all agency required trainings
- Candidates must be cleared and maintain an acceptable record under the criminal background check process
- Must be clear and maintain an acceptable record under the Medicaid Fraud & Abuse clearance process
- Must be able to travel locally and regionally for meetings, clean driving record and own transportation required
- Maintain strong work ethics, and strict adherence to code of ethics, standards of conduct and confidentiality requirements